Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sweet Pepper Rice

This recipe came from a friend, Carly. She has a cooking blog too http://kiss-the-cooks.blogspot.com/ I haven't told her yet, but I use this recipe ALL THE TIME. I love it! It has such yummy flavor, you can eat it by itself, add it to any burrito, or eat it as great side dish.
3 TBSP. butter
1 sweet onion, finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup long grain white rice
3 cups chicken stock
(I will substitute butter for Canola Harvest Margarine. I usually do a green pepper, unless red's on sale, I'm cheap. Also I have made this without cilantro, in case I don't have it, but I usually do!)

In a large saute pan, melt butter. Add onion and pepper. Cook until soft. Add cilantro, salt, and garlic powder. Cook another minute. Add rice and brown but don't let it burn. Disolve sugar in chicken stock. When dissolved, add to rice. Bring to a simmer, turn to low, and cook covered for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Carly said...

i'm glad you like it! i love this recipe, too. i could eat bowls and bowls of it :)