Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Southwestern Bean Casserole

I know, I know...terrible picture, but I didn't think to take the picture until after we ate. As you can see though, between the four of us, a lot was eaten! This is one of my new favorite recipes. It has lots of flavor and I usually have all the ingredients on hand. Trust me, you should try this!
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 cup onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup cream-style corn, divided
1 can chopped green chilies, drained
1/2 cup bottled salsa
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 cans pinto beans, drained
1 can stewed tomatoes, undrained
cooked spray
1 cup shredded cheese
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
Heat 1 tsp. oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, saute 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup corn, chilies, and next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Pour corn mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, and 1/4 tsp. salt in a bowl. Combine 1/2 cup corn, 1/2 cup cheese, buttermilk, 1/4 cup oil, and egg; add to cornmeal mixture. Spread over bean mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Camilla said...

Yum! I have to try this and the sandwich too. I made the lasagna last night and it was so much more moist than my usual recipe. I love this blog!:)

Mandi said...

Thanks Nae, I can't wait to try this recipe and the Chocolate Gooey Treats...yummy!

Jennifer said...

I made this tonight and we nearly finished the whole pan! So yummy! I guess we eat more than you guys do... :-) Thanks Janae!!